initial port to stm32f4-discovery (cortex-m4)

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 7 11:12:53 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 09:41 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 04:29 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> I would assume (not really knowing where it came from), that it is
>>> from the
>>> "STM32F4DISCOVERY board firmware package" downloadable at the bottom
>>> of :
>>> http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp
>>
>> http://www.st.com/internet/com/LEGAL_RESOURCES/LEGAL_AGREEMENT/LICENSE_AGREEMENT/EvaluationProductLicenseAgreement.pdf
>>

>> => eval-only, only in connection with eval-board, non-commercial only.
>> == non-free
>
> This is the license for the board, not the software.

This is the license the "design support" tab of the link you provided
above (http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp)
points to.

>> => These files can not be part of RTEMS.
>
> To me it is completely unclear what the license for these source files
> is.

At the very bottom of the tab mentioned above, under "Firmware" you find
a dedicated STM32F4-Discovery Firmware zip package, which, when you
unpackage it contains a SW license.

To me, this SW license disqualifies any piece of SW from the
"STM32F4-Discovery Firmware" package from inclusion into RTEMS.

> I will contact STMicroelectronics, but I think this will take months
> to change. This is yet another silicon vendor who plagues its customers
> (at least the one who care about licenses) with useless source code for
> its products.
Well, it depends on whose files the files are derived from.

The license Dimitry mentioned in another mail, would seem fine to me at
first glance.

Ralf