Project about Atomic Operations

Mon Mar 26 16:46:25 UTC 2012

On 03/26/2012 11:19 AM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused about this discussion. I havn't looked into the
> RTEMS/GSOC project related to atomic support, but I agree with Sebastian
> that it doesn't make sense to implement an RTEMS-specific atomic API
> that would replace the C11 standard API.
>
> What might make sense is to
>
> - develop an API for RTEMS synchronization/kernel services which is ON
> TOP of the C11 atomic standard
>
> - develp support routines (maybe in newlib, maybe in RTEMS) that
> implements a synchronization function.
I think they are discussed in terms of being libc methods but
in reality are provided by the compiler.  GCC 4.7 has initial
support.

> Maybe for the discussion the following wiki page might help:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Atomic
>
> It lists the architectures that GCC directly supports for atomics. All
> other architectures (including ARM, M68K) require library support to get
> atomic operations to work properly. So at least _this_ would be work
> that requires doing.
Right any atomic implementation done in this project should
be fed upstream to gcc and/or clang.  In the case of
gcc, that would require an assignment. I can help with that.
We have had quick turn around on assignments for GSOC students.

This in addition to wrapping RTEMS primitives on top of gcc atomics
which gets us back to something like FreeBSD stdatomics.h. :)