Best place to start a new BSP

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri May 4 18:14:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 12:26 PM, Steven Grunza wrote:
>
>   Is “BSP and Device Driver Development Guide” contained in bsp_howto.pdf
> still the best place to get guidance on getting RTEMS to run on custom
> hardware?
>

> For better or worse, that's what we have. Corrections and
> additions are always welcomed.
>
>   Does anyone know of a Wiki entry or other Web based URL for
> better/more/other information on this?
>

>   I’m really just looking for documentation at this point but for the
> curious my hardware has:
>
>                 Atmel AT91R40008 (arm7tdmi based) processor
>
>                 4MB flash
>
>                 1MB SRAM
>
>                 2 Ethernet MAC’s (in an FPGA)
>
>                 Various I2C peripherals (including serial debug console)
>

> Standard advice is to find a BSP that is close to this
> and copy it or make a variant.

The ARM bsp families are a little bit different from the others (has
newer features / software architecture) so be aware that there may be
some issues that have not been well documented in the BSP how-to. If
you run into something that is unfamiliar just ask here or on the
rtems-devel list. When you get around to having code to submit please
post patches to rtems-devel, or through rtems bugzilla.

-Gedare