Using COM Port as console in building RTEMS for SMDK2410

SAeeD salpha.2004 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:49:07 UTC 2012

Hello every one,

I am building RTEMS for SMDK2410 these days and I want to test the simple
"hello" application, available in "testsuites" folder of RTEMS.
But the problem is that I want to use the board's COM port as the console,
so that output of those printf lines in "hello" application goes through
COM port and I see the output on my laptop's screen.
I configured RTEMS as follows:
../configure --enable-rtems-debug USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1
BSP_PRESS_KEY_FOR_RESET=0 --target=arm-rtems4.10 --enable-rtemsbsp=smdk2410
--enable-tests=samples
--prefix=/home/rtems/rtems-4.10-src/rtems-4.10.2/mini2440/build

Then I transferred "hello.exe" image to board and connected the board's COM
port to my laptop's COM port and started a terminal for serial connection
with baud rate:115200, data: 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow
control.

I powered on the board but there was nothing received from the serial port!
I guess USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1 is not enough to configure the OS to send
console output to COM port. But I am not sure.

Does any one have any idea or experience about this?

* Please notice that although I build RTEMS for SMDK2410, my board is
Mini2440.

Thanks in advance
SAeeD