Using COM Port as console in building RTEMS for SMDK2410

Wed May 23 13:37:14 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 02:49 AM, SAeeD wrote:
> Hello every one,
>
> I am building RTEMS for SMDK2410 these days and I want to test the
> simple "hello" application, available in "testsuites" folder of RTEMS.
> But the problem is that I want to use the board's COM port as the
> console, so that output of those printf lines in "hello" application
> goes through COM port and I see the output on my laptop's screen.
> I configured RTEMS as follows:
> ../configure --enable-rtems-debug USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1
> BSP_PRESS_KEY_FOR_RESET=0 --target=arm-rtems4.10
> --enable-rtemsbsp=smdk2410 --enable-tests=samples
> --prefix=/home/rtems/rtems-4.10-src/rtems-4.10.2/mini2440/build

USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1 is pc386 specific and has no impact on this BSP.

It looks like the console always is the first (only?) UART on this.

> Then I transferred "hello.exe" image to board and connected the
> board's COM port to my laptop's COM port and started a terminal for
> serial connection with baud rate:115200, data: 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no
> parity and no flow control.
>
> I powered on the board but there was nothing received from the serial
> port!
> I guess USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1 is not enough to configure the OS to
> send console output to COM port. But I am not sure.
>
> Does any one have any idea or experience about this?

No personal experience here but looking at the code, I wonder if the
baud rate
clock is the same on your board as on the board it was developed for.

     /* value is calculated so : (int)(PCLK/16./baudrate) -1 */
     reg = get_PCLK() / (16 * 115200) - 1;

> * Please notice that although I build RTEMS for SMDK2410, my board is
> Mini2440.

If there is a boot monitor on this, you can always disable initializing
the UART and use the same baud rate it used.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development