ANN: openSUSE-11.4 to be discontinued Nov 5th

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Nov 7 07:52:28 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 08:30 AM, rwas wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>  On 10/16/2012 06:33 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > SUSE announced to discontinue openSUSE-11.4, Nov. 5th.
>> >
>> > c.f.:
>> > http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2012-10/msg00003.html
>> >
>> > I am planning to join SUSE's plan, i.e. to discontinue building and
>> > to remove all RTEMS suse-11.4 toolchain packages at the same date
>> > or shortly afterwards.
>>
>>  This is effective now.
>>
>>  All openSUSE-11.4 repositories on rtems.org have been removed.
>
> I can understand the *not maintaining* part, but why on earth remove
> something that
> already exists and might be of use to others still using 11.4?

Well, people, who are still using 11.4 have missed to the point in time
to switch the train, ... I am sorry for them, but they are learning this
lesson the hard way, now ;)

Seriously: Continuing to use openSUSE-11.4 at this point of time is a
bad idea, because such installations will soon be vulnerable and the
packages (comprising the RTEMS packages) be outdated.

> btw: os11.4 is considered a very good release, better than 12.1 or 12.2.

Possible - I occasionally also am using openSUSE myself, but still favor
Fedora ;)

Ralf