mvme5500: data transfer rate to and from vme space

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 23 20:16:25 UTC 2012

Are you really using VME BLTs (or only repeated single-address cycles,
e.g., the CPU doing a loop - this can be really slow, especially if the
universe
is configured so that the bus has to be re-arbitrated for for each cycle)?
How do you do those block transfers - with the DMA engine, I suppose?

If it is too slow then you might want to use a bus analyzer to find out why.
In some cases the VME card you are transferring data to or from
(i.e., not the mvme5500) may be slow. Since VME is an asynchronous bus
speed is limited by the slowest device participating in the transfer.

-Till