Building Tools From Source

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Sep 25 12:06:03 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 11:31 AM, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> I have no idea what Apple provide on MacOS, or what is provided on
>>> FreeBSD (I use both) nor do I need to be concerned.
>>
>> Well, that's the difference in your way of thinking and mine.
>>
>> I trust more in OS vendors' dedicated package maintainers who are
>> supposed to be deeply familiar with packages and supposed to take more
>> care about packages, than I ever could myself.
>>

> Yes agree for the host OS.
The libgmp, libmpfr, libmpc etc. this threat started with are host
libraries, a host's GCC uses underneath.

As all of them undergo continuous upstream + OS-vendor development and
bug-fixing it's not necessarily advisable to statically link against them.

[To oversimplyfy: Code generation bugs can easily originate from inside
your host's libgmp, libmpfr, libmpc etc. and may already be fixed in
later OS-vendor versions of these.]

> I hope that the tools we release are tested
> and stable. I am only talking about gcc and the dependent libraries it
> now includes and making sure these do not vary even if the OS vendor has
> decided they need to for reasons specific to the host os.
The latter is a lost fight, because these libraries also occasionally
suffer from bugs.

I.e. when statically linking you are making a choice towards
"reproducability/staying bugward-compatible", while when dynamically you
are making a choice towards "correctness" and against "reproducability".

Ralf