Debugging basic BSP tasking functionality

Wed Apr 17 14:34:19 UTC 2013

On 4/17/2013 9:04 AM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes it the stack pointer out of range, because the current stack
> pointer returned by GCC _builtin_frame_XX in the IDLE thread looks
> like its actually that from the Init() thread.

You are completely in C code when this happens. There has been assembly
to switch to the task initially (e.g. into _Thread_Handler) and if an
interrupt
occurred.

If you put an explicit call to rtems_stack_checker_is_blown() in Init() at
various points, does it think things are OK?

It is easy for the stack not to be initialized to match gcc or gdb's
expectation
of how it ends.

Just to be clear.. is this with the rtl22xx or rtl22xx_t BSP? The
non-thumb version
uses -mapcs-frame which no other BSP uses. That makes me wonder.
> Thinking this through,my target is Thumb, so the C interrupt handler
> should be in a arm file with -mthumb-interwork set on the compile line.
>
> I guess GCC can not auto-magicly know what particular functions are
> interrupts, so should there be some entry/exit functions to
> save/restore the stack, etc, like these...
>
> http://www.procyonengineering.com/embedded/arm/armlib/docs/html/group__processor__lpc2000.html
>
> ISR_ENTRY / ISR_EXIT

Not with RTEMS. When you enter/exit an ISR, you go through some
code which saves the proper registers, probably switches you to
a dedicated stack, and does the OS stuff needed so it will do
any needed dispatching at the end of the interrupt.

--joel