APIs: POSIX versus Classic

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Aug 5 07:43:25 UTC 2013

Hello,

the only reason why the POSIX API is optional is that you can save some code
and data space in applications that don't need it.  It helps also to reduce the
code size to be reviewed.

On 2013-08-05 06:28, Nick Withers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick one (hopefully :-P): Is there a "preferred" RTEMS API for new
> code? The POSIX API's considered production-ready, I believe...?

The asynchronous cancellation is not production ready from my point of view,
but this is a questionable concept on its own.

> Ideally, I'd use the POSIX API for increased portability, methinks.
>
> Cheers!

The POSIX thread support enables you to use a lot of common third party libraries.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09