RTEMS on top of linux or FreeBSD?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sat Aug 31 04:53:41 UTC 2013

On 08/31/2013 06:32 AM, Devin Butterfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it currently possible to run rtems as an application on top of linux
> or FreeBSD?
My preference is clear: Linux, more precisely Fedora-Linux, second
choice CentOS - I would not consider FreeBSD nor Ubuntu.

To me, Fedora is best suited for developer's needs.

However, as their is no "one size fits all", of course your
demands/requirements may vary and all of these have their pros and cons.

> I have an where I need to simulate multiple instantiations
> of rtems and would benefit from running native.
>
> If not, are there any major show stoppers in developing a BSP for
> running rtems as a thread on top of another OS?
This should be possible on all *nix-ish OSes. However, as much of the
toolchains is GNU based, using a GNU-based OS (Linux/GNU) unterneath is
much easier and less error-prone than others. My last choiced would be
Cygwin and MinGW, however I can understand why some people want them.

Cygwin has the advantage of it having a centralized "distribution",
while being fairly slow at run-time, due to its working principles.
MinGW lacks such a centralized "distribution" and suffers from it
lacking features, which causes its tools not to support some features
which are useful on *nish OSes.

Ralf