RTEMS on a softcore

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Feb 15 17:06:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Mathew Benson <mathew.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've done a little research.  First, you need a soft core.  I know
> Xilinx offers their own Microblaze core and an ARM core, but I don't
> think the ARM core is offered for the Spartan.  It definitely wouldn't
> be free.  I may be wrong, but I think Xilinx offers node locked
> Microblaze cores for free on specific boards who's manufacturers have
> made arrangements with Xilinx.  I don't know if the Basys 2 is one of
> them.  Xilinx also offers another free Microblaze core but its a
> microcontroller.  I assume it doesn't have an MMU and I assume RTEMS
> requires one.

RTEMS does not require an MMU. In fact an MMU makes it more
complicated to get RTEMS to work since the BSP developer must
implement the MMU handling capabilities.

I will also once again plug the Leon core, which has FPGA
synthesizable versions and is well-known in the RTEMS community.

There are also a few developers working with RTEMS on the NIOS II.

-Gedare