joel script in rtems shell

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Mar 8 00:09:27 UTC 2013

Jason Zheng wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been answered in the past. I had originally
> thought the rtems shell would treat any text file with execution bit set
> as a shell script, but as I was playing with it, I got a message saying
> that it's not a joel script. I've searched the mailing list archives and
> the rtems shell user's guide and I could not find any mentioning of the
> "joel script." I am assuming the name came from Joel, but could someone
> do one of the following?
>
> 1. Explain in plain terms what constitutes a "joel script", or

Joel's Open Embedded Language (or some combination that fits).

> 2. Point me to a document, or

Currently it is a list of shell commands. The standard ones are
documented in the Shell user manual and you can add custom ones.

This is not a normal shell you find on Unix, rather it is a way to add
simple commands which map to functions in your application.

> 3. Post an example of a joel script?

#!joel
cd /dev
ls