Build RTEMS

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sun Mar 10 08:48:05 UTC 2013

On 03/10/2013 12:01 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> We need a release process and snapshot tarballs - Pointing users to the
>> git swamp is not helpful.
>
> We do not need to manually make snapshot tarballs. The cgit web
> interface provides a simple fast way to get a tarball. For example the
>
>   http://git.rtems.org/rtems/snapshot/rtems-master.tar.bz2
I am well aware about git being able to produce tarballs, but ....

> The same goes for 4.10.* branches, any other release, in fact any commit.
... these are mere "git-shapshots" and which are _not_ equivalent to
(pre-)release tarballs.

(Pre-)Release tarballs contain all generated sources (e.g.
auto*generated files), ChangeLogs, are subject to a release-process
(ABI/API-freeze) and proper version numbering. In auto*tools's speak,
pre-release tarballs are generated by "make dist" and carry no
dependency on any VCS.

FWIW: These tarballs similarity is the cause of some poorly led,
unprofessionally managed, git-based projects to claim there wasn't a
need to not produce release tarballs. Truth can not be further away from
this.

Ralf