RFC: Drop toolchain support for rtems4.8, rtems4.9 and CentOS5?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Mar 15 23:20:44 UTC 2013

Oyake, Amalaye (3496) wrote:

> with respect to older toolchains, I would check if older Space missions
> are using the older builds. I think that ESA is baselined rtems 4.8 or
> some variant thereof ... It would be difficult to do some software
> maintenance/update on an older spacecraft if the toolchains needed are
> gone.

I see 3 separate parts to this and I wish to clarify them. The first is
the configuration of the tools for a specific architecture and release
plus the expected test results. It is the role of the RTEMS Project to
define this and to provide a public repository of this information. Git
is currently been used to hold this information and we are starting to
fill in the details. It is a work in progress. The second part is the
host platforms supported and packaging. What happens here are volunteer
efforts, sponsored efforts or private efforts. The ability for the RTEMS
Project to cover all possible cases is impossible and we do not wish to
limit what our users want to use. In the case of RPMs, Ralf volunteers
his efforts and so he is able to decide to manage that as best we can.
An organization like ESA is able to select a path and manage it, or they
can contact Joel at OAR and arrange support, or they can use the results
of the volunteer efforts. Each as pros and cons and it is up to each
user or organization to select a path that suites them. I do not feel it
is up to me to dictate a path nor do I see the RTEMS Project doing the
same. The third part is testing and test results. This is something we
are starting to look at integrating into the data set that defines a set
of tools. It is not clear how this will happen and what it will look
like. The main point is to provide a way for a user or organization
determine if the tools they are using meet the define standard. This
last part is complex and currently a goal we have.

> The thing to note is that Legacy Hardware pretty much does one function
> well and stays in use for a long long time ...

Yes this is understood and we are mindful of the special demands this
places on the project. It is understood the host operating systems and
hardware we use moves much much faster than some of our user's projects.
In my view this is a good thing how-ever obsolescence is an important by
product that needs to be managed [1]. We are attempting to address the
base needs and to manage them better first. The difficult part is
meeting everyone's needs and the time needed to see how we are going.

Chris

[1] I once had to modify an archived RTEMS project and decided to use
the carefully archived Linux distro disks how-ever the Linux kernel only
knew about VL-bus, ISA bus and something else I have forgotten and the
only hardware I could find was PCI bus. I used a new Linux distro, ran
the single shell script to build the tools and a couple of minor patches
downloaded from the net later I had verified the tools and made the
requested change.