e1000 network interface

Jay Kulpinski jay.kulpinski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 17:02:22 UTC 2013

I am currently evaluating RTEMS to see if it will suit our purposes. I have
4.10.2 configured for the pc686 board support package and have successfully
run most of the demo programs. I am currently having some difficulty
getting the netdemo to run.  I am using libbsdport pulled from git about a
week ago for the e1000 network driver.

Most of it works running under VirtualBox version 4.2.10 using the internal
network option to emulate an 82540EM network device: I can ping RTEMS,
connect to the echo tasks using TCP ports 24742 and 24743, transmit the
burst of TCP traffic from RTEMS, and dump the status information. However,
when I attempt to send the burst of UDP traffic (800 byte messages), only
one UDP packet is transmitted after the ARP exchange. This will sometimes
even lock up the host PC requiring a complete reboot, so I suspect a
VirtualBox bug, but wonder if that is triggered by something strange RTEMS
might be doing.

When running on real hardware with an 82546EB network interface,
initialization of the device fails.  The e1000_read_phy_reg_mdic function
times out trying to read the PHY_ID1 register. I will look in the latest
FreeBSD drivers to see if any changes seem related, but in the meanwhile,
if anyone has had success and can offer suggestions, that would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay