_Internal_error_Occurred() in _Thread_Handler()

Matthew J Fletcher amimjf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:28:06 UTC 2013

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Looking at the 'executing' structure in _Thread_Handler() i can see that
the last task being executed was the rtems_bdbuf_swapout_task(), i dont see
how this can return, the only chance out of this seems to be via
rtems_fatal_error_occured() which in the rtl22xx_t BSP is implemented as..

void rtems_fatal_error_occurred(
  uint32_t   the_error
) RTEMS_COMPILER_NO_RETURN_ATTRIBUTE; Thats just defined as __attribute__
((noreturn));

The return argument is 0x814c9c50, return code 6 according to the
'executing' structure.

If i comment out the rtems_io_register_driver() / rtems_rfs_format() on the
NV device the problem does not occur, i just switch between the idle task
and one of my threads.

So it looks like rtems_bdbuf_swapout_task() is returning, can i help any
more tracking things down ?

On 28 March 2013 14:03, Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:

> Just to directly answer the question about the idle thread. It is
> perfectly normal to have a system where that is the only ready thread. Even
> ticker spends most of its execution time in this state.
>
> POSIX threads implicitly delete themselves when they return.
>
> It is a fatal error for Classic API tasks to do so.
>
> This is just one example of the differing philosophies behind the two APIs.
>
> --joel
>
> Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>

> On 03/28/2013 01:26 PM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am getting the above and presume i've made a mistake in some part of
> my setup.
> >
> > I know task switching works, i switch between the idle task and my
> Init() task
> > fine, this error seems to occur in the task switch that occurs after i
> > rtems_task_suspend() the Init() task. That in itself i guess is fine,
> most of
> > the examples do it.
> >
> > Would the above happen if there were no ready to be scheduled tasks
> except the
> > idle task ?
>
> The only internal error in _Thread_Handler() is
> INTERNAL_ERROR_THREAD_EXITTED.
>   The classic API tasks must not return.  You have to delete them, e.g.
> with
> rtems_task_delete(RTEMS_SELF);
>
> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH