RFC: Drop toolchain support for rtems4.8, rtems4.9 and CentOS5?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Mar 14 07:37:58 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 08:07 AM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> We use a mix of CentOS5/6. Would you consider branching the RPM build
> scripts so you can use fun new stuff in for 6 hosts but keep the old
> methods for 5 hosts ?

Well, my current approach is use a common *spec for all OS being
involved, applying the smallest common denominator of features being
shared by all rpm-variants, cluttering the specs with conditionals,
addressing distro and rpm-variant specific topics.

(It's a bit like writing c-code and having to clutter it with
K'n'R/c89/c99 compatibility #ifdefs and not being able to take advantage
of modern C - A bit tedious, but doable).

All in all, this means I am not applying "distro-specific" rpm-specs,
which then means, forking/branching for CentOS5 would not help me much -
To the contrary, it would increase the effort.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know you still are using CentOS5 ;)

Ralf