Dogma, was: Re: Rtems 4.9: Error: Requires: libgmp.so.3()(64bit)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Mar 18 03:18:55 UTC 2013

rwas wrote:

> Maybe I missed it, but I don't see the rest of the community talking
> like this, just Ralf.
> With due respect to Ralf, we sure appreciate his hard work on RTEMS.
> That said, I don't
> want my project held hostage by this kind of radical decision making
> process either.

Why not download and archive the RPM files you are interested in yourself ?

> In closing, I see only two reasons for deleting old pre-built tools, and
> possibly old version source.
> Lack of disk space, or the imposition of philosophy on the community.
> The disk space issue is easily remedied.

It is not as easy as you may think. It costs in a number of areas and we
work on donations. Adding disks is easy, making it redundant a little
harder, getting this in suitable rack base hardware a little more,
arranging suitable back up and regular testing of the backups bring more
complexity, ensuring always available and co-located (a wish we have) a
little bit more complexity, finally and most importantly managing those
who like rsync the entire tree a real pain the butt.

You are most welcome to set up and provide an RTEMS RPM repo mirror and
with this make the packages available long term as a service to the
community if you think it is important and needed ?

Chris