mvme5500, PowerPC, VME, and end-of-life issues

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue May 14 22:53:29 UTC 2013

There is RTEMS support for the MVME6100 in the "Beatnik" BSP.  It supports the MVME5500 and MVME6100.

I didn't mean that I'm interested in hanging on to 68K based boards, I meant that at least over the next few years I can't imagine that getting an MVME5500 will be harder to get than an MVME167 (which my client is still using), and so my client should just relax and use the MVME5500 (or MVME6100 if that isn't EOL) while they do a change over to a new architecture.  That is, unless there is something special about old 68K boards (use in the military?) that makes the MVME167 different from the MVME5500.

On May 14, 2013, at 18:08 , rwas <rbtwas at gmail.com> wrote:

> For my project, I chose the mvme5500 because of the rtems bsp support. That
> and the mvme5500 at the time was plenty fast and considerably cheaper
> than the
> later Motorola/Emerson models also available at the time. If there had
> been rtems support for something
> like the mvme6100, I would have considered that board as well.
>
> As far as hanging on to the older 68k based vme boards, I'd say it has
> everything to do with supporting
> existing code, and making use of existing ?x?orks development licenses.

Peter