RTEMS and Sparc V8

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Nov 20 09:51:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-20 10:34, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-11-20 10:18, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>> Ref. RTEMS 4.10.99.0 On-Line Library
>>
>> RTEMS CPU Architecture Supplement
>>
>> Ch. 11 SPARC Specific Information
>>
>> The intro states :
>>
>> “Currently, only implementations of SPARC Version 7 are supported by RTEMS.”
>>
>> Is this true for 4.10, or is the statement out of date?
>>
>> Specifically, can RTEMS 4.10 be used with LEON3/SparcV8?
>>

> I think this statement is out of date.  The RTEMS 4.10 tool chain supports
> SPARC V8 and there is a LEON3 BSP in RTEMS 4.10 (which use compiler switches
> for SPARC V7 curiously).
>
> For proper LEON3 support in GCC you have to wait for GCC 4.9 or maybe 4.8.3.

I should be a bit more precise here.  You can use RTEMS 4.10 on LEON3 using the
general SPARC V7 instruction set, but an optimized GCC specially tailored for
LEON3 is only available with later GCC versions.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09