Flash disk RFS format errors, "no segment mapping"

Nick Withers nick.withers at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 24 07:51:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 09:04 +0200, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-10-24 02:34, Nick Withers wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 11:06 +0200, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> >> Hallo Nick,
> >>
> >> you can now also use JFFS2 on RTEMS for NOR flash devices:
> >>
> >> http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/doxygen/cpukit/html/group__JFFS2.html
> >
> > Thanks Sebastian!
> >
> > I'm not too sure I want to jump on board JFFS2 as I may end up trying to
> > platform, etc.) at some point in the near future.
>
> Do you have specific problems with the current HEAD?  From my point of view the
> current HEAD has production quality.

A few breakages after git pulls (e.g., my /dev/fdda disappeared at some
point (haven't looked at it very much), the admittedly good extra tarfs
error checking, minor stuff that's probably if not definitely all my
fault anyway) and whatnot, and Till's GDB Stub patch'd be really nice. I
guess I've a personal preference for developing on a pretty-much static
platform too.

I think I imagined 4.11 might have been cut a little sooner (not
complaining!) when I started and probably would have gone with 4.10
otherwise anyway. The other RTEMS system in the facility is on 4.10,
too.

> > I've started trying to debug the FlashDisk stuff (so far I'm at the
> > clearing of a sector appearing to fail) and hopefully'll get somewhere
> > with it eventually... It's sort of low priority right now but would be
> > good to have working :-)
> >

> I would not use the RTEMS flash disk if I have the option to use a real flash
> file system that is on the market for more than ten years in the Linux kernel
> (provided the system has enough RAM for it).

Thanks for that - appreciate your advice. Perhaps I should stay with
4.11 after all :-)

[I'm not really planning on using the flash for particularly much,
really, just storing configuration... but perhaps also logs in the
future. For now I've just compiled in configuration files and tarfs'ed
them, which is "good enough" at this prototype stage.]

Cheers again Sebastian, thanks for your time!
--
Nick Withers

Embedded Systems Programmer
Room 2.26, Building 57
Department of Nuclear Physics
Research School of Physics and Engineering
The Australian National University (CRICOS: 00120C)

eMail: nick.withers at anu.edu.au
Phone: +61 2 6125 2091
Mobile: +61 414 397 446