stress program in RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Oct 23 07:20:56 UTC 2013

On 23/10/2013 5:18 pm, Pierre Ficheux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing a new article about RTEMS. I'm looking for an example of stress task such as "stress" or "hackbench" on Linux.
>
> What's the best way to generate stress for RTEMS ? using floating floating point operation?

With an RTOS you should consider how deterministic the performance is.
For example create an application and have an input signal trigger an
interrupt and turn an output on in the interrupt handler then dispatch a
task. In the task turn off the output. Record the period the output is
high. Next create 100 lower priority tasks and have them wake at
different intervals and print messages. You should see no difference in
the output signal's period. You could repeat with 200 tasks. This would
highlight the importance of the algorithms used.

My point being stress and loading have a different meaning with an RTOS.
Another idea would be the maximum interrupt load. I am sure others will
have more ideas.

I hope this helps.

Chris