RTEMS on top of linux or FreeBSD?

Bornet Romain romain.bornet at heig-vd.ch
Mon Sep 2 06:27:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

To answer the original questions

>> Is it currently possible to run rtems as an application on top of linux or FreeBSD? I have an where I need to simulate multiple instantiations of rtems and would benefit from running native.
We are using Qemu to run our RTEMS applications and I think it is just fine for the use case you are describing. You can start multiple instances of Qemu running the same or different RTEMS applications.
For communication between the different instances you can either use a socket-based interface using the emulated network between the different instances or use shared memory as documented here: http://wiki.qemu.org/TexiDemo#Inter-VM_Shared_Memory_device

>> If not, are there any major show stoppers in developing a BSP for running rtems as a thread on top of another OS?
Qemu does not bring so much overhead and runs almost as fast as native. Moreover, Qemu already offers advanced functionalities for debuging for example. I don't think that the overhead of developing your own BSP/port to run RTEMS natively as a userspace application is worth.

Regards,
    Romain