toolchain versions (was Re: compile error in dwmac-desc-enh.c)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Aug 8 01:22:55 UTC 2014

On 8/08/2014 6:49 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> That link is for the newlib patch not the gcc patch listed above.

Ah sorry I missed that part of the email. I have no idea about this
patch and what it attempts to do. I have not seen any posts or
discussion about it and same goes for the SOURCES/4.11 directory.

IMO we should not have a SOURCES/4.11 directory until 4.11 is released
so I think it should be emptied. When 4.11 is released this directory
should contain all the approved source and to be approved there needs to
be real test results from RTEMS where possible. Just building the tools
and RTEMS is not sufficient. We have not reached a point where every
architecture or BSP can be tested however we have made real progress and
so as I said where possible we should run the tests and get the results.
RTEMS should also make available the ability for users to run the tests
and compare the results. Users being able to validate the tools they
have against the expected results is very important.

The 4.11 tools are currently a mix of 4.8.3 and 4.9.1 with some upstream
patches and newlib-26-Jul-2014 [1]. The gcc-4.9.1 release is being used
for some targets that do not build or are not supported on 4.8.3, eg
NIOS2. The recent newlib is required to get the RTEMS head to build.

Back to the point on rtems-tools being the master. It is as well as
references to suitable web sites that host and provide support for the
upstream project. For example the NIOS2 patch being used by the RSB is
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/364504/. The RSB references this patch
directly
http://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/4.11/rtems-nios2.bset#n19.

The RTEMS project defines the tool set at the source level for a release
and anyone can take that and package it anyway they like where ever they
like. The RSB is just one possible way. Anyone packaging the tools can
vary them anyway they like and so users need to decide on using those
tools based on there merits.

Chris

[1]
http://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/tools/rtems-gcc-4.8.3-newlib-cvs-1.cfg