Google Summer of Code -- Mentors Wanted

Mon Feb 3 23:52:38 UTC 2014

On 2/3/2014 5:25 PM, Wendell Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the prerequisites for one to be a mentor?

Generally depends on the project but the primary mentor definitely
has to be able to do the student's project. They have to know the
subject well enough to answer any question and keep them on track.
The "do their work" requirement is to avoid the trap of the student
appearing to be busy while nothing is produced. If you know what
should be produced, then you can call their bluff.

There is also management, guidance, advice, etc. You have to keep
them on track and catch them if they start to fall behind, quiet, etc.

The backup mentor can be less technically knowledgeable in the area
but still should be RTEMS knowledgeable. They are help on the
"management" side in the second paragraph as much as anything.

I am not trying to scare anyone off. But the goal is to guide the student
to a successful project. Much of that is project management but you
have to know the meat. I believe most RTEMS users do in fact know the
meat for most of the projects.

--joel