Windows tool set

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jan 6 23:32:15 UTC 2014

On 7/01/2014 1:30 am, Simon Williams wrote:

> After a fairly lengthy hiatus caused by the job that pays the bills
> taking over my life for a while, I finally got back to looking at RTEMS
> this weekend.  The first thing that I had to do was to rebuild my
> development environment as I have had to wipe and rebuild my laptop
> since the last time I looked at it.  When doing this, I discovered that
> the two latest tar files containing the Windows build tools have been
> configured to install in /home/chrisj/development/rtems/4.11 instead of
> /opt/rtems/4.11 as they had previously been configured.  Since I do not
> log on to my machine as 'chrisj', the option of using these version of
> the tools did not appeal!

Ouch. Sorry. I will rebuild and update and let you know. Thanks for the
post.

> I attempted to use Source Builder and Cygwin to build the tools myself
> using the instructions on the Source Builder documentation page, but
> could not get past building expat.  It was complaining that it couldn't
> find one of the exe files that it was trying to install, despite the
> fact that it was there.  There were also warnings about not being able
> to resolve an absolute path to '.libs' (which also existed and contained
> the exe file in question) which I think may have been related.

It is difficult to do and not stable. A range of issues come into play
such as virus scanners etc and even then it is very difficult.

> I ended up using the oldest of the three Windows tool archives available
> from the download page. Since this one was configured for
> /opt/rtems/4.11, this was fine, but potentially leaves me using an
> outdated set of tools.
>
> (A note to anyone else attempting to use the same tools archive, you
> need to add a link in MinGW from /usr/local/bin/gm4 to /usr/bin/m4 to
> enable bootstrap to work.)

Sigh, a known issue with autotools.

> My prefered option would be to sort out the issues with Source Builder,
> so that I could build the tools configured for my file system, but I
> don't know enough about Cygwin to diagnose the issue.  Can anyone give
> me any pointers?  Failing that, would it be possible to get the Windows
> RTEMS tools archive updated to run from a more generic location?
>
> Unfortunately, as much as I would love to use Linux as my development
> platform for this, .NET programming is what pays the bills and so I have
> to run Windows!

The RTEMS should and will support tools for Windows. I have given many
many hours looking into getting a stable way to build on Windows but it
just has not happened.

Chris