RTEMS Installation & Configuration

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Jan 15 17:29:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Noble N. Nkwocha <Noble.N.Nkwocha at nasa.gov
> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> My name is Noble N. Nkwocha and I am new to and with RTEMS.

Welcome!

> I was successful “I believe”, in installing and Configuring RTEMS 4.10.2
> for the i386 and PowerPC target processors.   I used the pre-built tools
> and binary versions.    Would someone please help with the following
> questions?

Unless your project requires you to use 4.10, I would encourage you to use
4.11 (which is the current git master, but should be released soon
officially). I personally have limited experience with 4.10.

> 1.       Where is the resulting RTEMS Kernel after a successful
> configuration?   What is its filename?   Should I expect to have a file
> named “i386-rtems4.10-run” and another one named “powerpc-rtems4.10-run”
> after the successful build of RTEMS4.10.2?

Those "run" files point to simulators for the respective targets to aid in
running RTEMS applications. These are part of the "RTEMS Toolset" in the
pre-built tools. The RTEMS Kernel is a set of libraries that you get after
you successfully configure, make, and "install" RTEMS. Installing RTEMS on
your development host machine gives you the libraries that your application
will link against. (This should really all be explained somewhere...)

> 2.       Why is it that I cannot not get a successful RTEMS configuration
> for “powerpc” and “rad750” as target and BSP options respectively?   I get
> an error message indicating that a branch for the BSP (rad750) was not
> found.   The same problem occurs when I try “qemuprep” for a “powerpc”
> BSP.     The RTEMS Documentations I have, state that both the “rad750” and
> “qemuprep” are included in the standard RTEMS PowerPC BSPs distribution.
> What am I not doing correct, here?

The rad750 is not in the public release of RTEMS due to ITAR. You should
discuss this with other RTEMS users at your institution if they have it, or
you should contact OAR Corp who I believe can handle the issue.

I do not know why qemuprep does not work. You might first like to try the
"psim" BSP, which is the simplest simulated powerpc BSP. psim runs within
the powerpc-rtems4.10-gdb, which is invoked by the powerpc-rtems4.10-run
command. If you build RTEMS with psim you should be able to use
powerpc-rtems4.10-run on any of the compiled testsuites applications, such
as testsuites/samples/hello/hello.exe.

> 3.       Why do I get the System Error message below, each time I try the
> following:
>

> $ i386-rtems4.10-gdb `find  . -name  ticker.exe`

This looks like your host development machine is not fully set up. Are you
using cygwin? If you have access to any Linux machines, you might have an
easier time to get started using one of them instead. Windows should work,
but it can be finicky and is generally less supported by the RTEMS
community.

Can you descend to find ticker.exe yourself? It should be located in
something like i386-rtems4.10/c/i386ex/testsuites/samples/ticker/ticker.exe
in the build tree (or substitute powerpc/psim for i386/i386ex).

> This the command I used for my configurations.  “powerpc” and “psim” were
> substituted for the target and BSP for our successful PowerPC configuration
>

> *    ../rtems-4.10.2/configure --target=i386-rtems4.10
> --enable-rtemsbsp=i386ex --enable-cxx --enable-tests=samples*
>
> *    make all*
>
> *    make install*

These commands look right at a glance, especially using powerpc and psim
should work for sure. I take it there were no errors during these commands?
Based on the other issues that you reported, I suspect the host development
machine does not have quite the right environment / tools installed.