Limiting program RAM addresses

Mohammed Khoory mkhoory at eiast.ae
Mon Jan 27 00:45:43 UTC 2014

I think I figured out why RTEMS on LEON3 keeps ignoring the linker script
when it comes to RAM initialization. Basically, in the start-up code
(start.S), the variable rdb_start is initialized from the register value of
%sp (aka register g6). rdb_start is then treated by the BSP code as the end
of the RAM and uses it to initialize the RAM which includes the heap and
stack.

When running an application from GRMON this register gets set automatically
during initialization. I would imagine that the mkprom packager also does
this when decompressing the image. The value is 32 bytes minus the last RAM
address.

I'm mostly wondering why this is done and not simply by using the linker
script and having the user specify how much RAM is avaliable? My
understanding is that some debugging stub is stored in the last 32 bytes of
RAM and there shouldn't be any overlap as a result of this. Is this right?
The comments in start.S also mention that there's a "bug in linker", but
this comment is from 2006 from what I can see, so I'm not sure if it still
applies. I would appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks!