Flashdisk failing at rtems_fdisk_compact() - shouldn't I get a device node regardless?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Jan 10 20:42:17 UTC 2014

On 11/01/2014 1:21 am, Nick Withers wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:04 +0100, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 01/10/2014 06:17 AM, Nick Withers wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm playing with Flashdisk again, with the hope of using JFFS2 on top of
>>> it.
>>>
>>> At the moment I can't get the device node to even appear because
>>> rtems_fdisk_initialize() is failing in rtems_fdisk_compact() ("nothing
>>> to recycle" [1]).
>> [...]
>>
>> Using JFFS2 on top of a flash disk makes no sense.
>
> I'm having trouble parsing that :-P
>
> Also, http://www.rtems.org/ml/rtems-users/2014/january/msg00020.html ,
> but presumably you meant using rtems_fdisk_driver_handlers.

I suspect so. The flashdisk at the block device layer lets any file
system work on a flash disk and JFFS2 expects to operating at the flash
device layer where the rtems_fdisk_driver_handlers operate.

>> I would only use the
>> low-level flash driver (rtems_fdisk_driver_handlers).
>
> Cheers - I'll have a gander at that.

If this works out, and I see no reason for it not to, it might be a good
idea to move these handlers and the interface into something different
to avoid confusion.

Chris