4.11 Release Requirements Branching

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Jan 13 15:35:17 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 01:48 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello Joel,
>
> some notes regarding your list:
>
> The following are things that MUST be resolved before 4.11 is branched:
>

>      Tools stabilized on known versions
Primary issue to me: Newlib's lack of API/ABI stability.

To many changes. That said, I do not see any perspective for an RTEMS
release unless there are, say at least 2 months without newlib receiving
RTEMS-related changes.

In case somebody wonders, why I haven't upgraded newlib in my toolchain
packages: The churn the RTEMS submissions are causing have become
unprocessible to me.

>          Looks impossible to have all tools on same GCC version.
Correct.

IMO, it's time to pull the plug out of some targets.

Esp.:

- the avr, lm32 and m32c target should be discontinued, because the
corresponding toolchains are in rather unusable shape with no
improvements in sight.

- the sh and h8x also seem to be candidates for discontinuation.
At least I don't see a viable userbase of them.

>          Some GDB simulators do not support Mingw. We will likely have
> to accept that.
Correct.

>      Status of USB and new TCP/IP stack
>
> -> We should not couple the RTEMS 4.11 release with the network stack
> progress.
My opinion: Not ready, postpone after 4.11.

Ralf