RTEMS shell and telnetd

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu May 29 05:13:53 UTC 2014

On 29/05/2014 9:32 am, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 29/05/2014 1:13 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> On 2014-05-28 17:04, Peter Dufault wrote:
>>> I'm figuring out how we're supposed to hook telnetd and RTEMS shell
>>> together in the git head and I don't understand the intent.  I used to
>>> do it like this:
>>>
>>> static void sh_wrap(char *unused_dev, void *arg)
>>> {
>>>      rtems_shell_env_t my_env = rtems_global_shell_env;
>>>      my_env.forever = false;
>>>      (void)rtems_shell_main_loop( &my_env );
>>> }
>>>
>>> rtems_telnetd_config_table rtems_telnetd_config = {
>>>      sh_wrap,                /* Command */
>>>      NULL,                   /* Argument */
>>>      0,                      /* Priority */
>>>      20 * RTEMS_MINIMUM_STACK_SIZE, /* task stack size */
>>>      0,                      /* Login check */
>>>      0                       /* Keep stdio of the caller  */
>>> };
>>>
>>> and later call:
>>>
>>>      rtems_telnetd_initialize();
>>>
>>> "rtems_global_shell_env" is no longer global.
>>> "rtems_shell_init_env()" which would initialize a rtems_shell_env_t is
>>> not global.  "rtems_shell_get_current_env()" won't work outside of a
>>> shell context.  Passing 0 to rtems_shell_main_loop(0) will get the
>>> default settings for the shell env, so forever will be set true and I
>>> won't be able to exit the session.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something or is the intention I set up a "my_env"
>>> myself?  rtems_shell_env_t is still global.
>>
>> since so many user stumble over this problem I think we should bring
>> this global rtems_global_shell_env back as a read-only variable simply
>> to initialize rtems_shell_env_t variables.
>>

> What is wrong with:
>
>    rtems_shell_env_t shell_env = *rtems_shell_get_current_env();
>
> ?

This does not work because this call was checking for NULL and
asserting. I have posted a patch that removes the check and also add a
rtems_shell_dup_current_env call. I have tested ..

    rtems_shell_env_t shell_env;

    rtems_shell_dup_current_env(&shell_env);
    shell_env.taskname = NULL;
     ...etc...

works with telnetd.

Chris