gcc biuld, b-gcc/gcc/include-fixed/limits.h overides newlib-rtems limits.h

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Sep 12 22:10:28 UTC 2014

On 13/09/2014 4:28 am, Hill, Jeff wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am attempting to build an rtems nios2 gcc cross compiler from the gcc 4.7 source provided for Altera 13.1.
>
> After applying a patch for rtems 11 and gcc 4.7 I found at the RTEMS ftp site, I encounter some difficulties where gcc includes a limits.h in "build/b-gcc/gcc/include-fixed" instead of the one that presumably needs to be used that is provided in the RTEMS specific parts of newlib. Since this " build/b-gcc/gcc/include-fixed" path is added implicitly by gcc this is a difficult problem to work around.

The RSB can build older Altera versions. Please have a look at:

http://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/tools/rtems-nios2-gcc-4.1-newlib-1.19.0-1.cfg

for the details. Maybe something here can help.

> Nevertheless, I see that gcc 4.7 is routinely used with RTEMS 4.11 so perhaps someone knows how to resolve this issue. Any hints are greatly appreciated!

We are now using gcc-4.9 for the NIOS2 because it is supported up stream
in the FSF sources and I would recommend using it. The RSB can build
this for you. Is there any specific reason to use the Altera version ?

Chris