Memory protection in RTEMS

Tomasz Gregorek tomasz.gregorek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:04:19 UTC 2015

Hi

We are investigating possible OSes for a new product where one of the
requirements is memory protection between processes.

Does RTEMS supports memory protection? If not than is it planned to
implement memory protection?

This is what I found so far:

RTEMS is single process, multiple threads and as such have everything in
single memory space.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.rtems.user/19858

Gedare's blog with his implementation of memory protection from 2011/2012.
http://gedare-csphd.blogspot.be/2011/12/rtems-memory-protection-api.html
but it seems that this code didn't get to the main.

Project "MMU Support" by Aanjhan Ranganathan from 6 years ago:
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Projects/MMU_Support

Source code configures MMUs but it seems it do it to enable cache only, not
the memory protection. Though I did only simple search through the code.
There are exception handlers for some architectures/CPUs but only for few
if not for only one.

Best regards
Tomasz Gregorek