Memory protection in RTEMS

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Apr 9 13:36:50 UTC 2015

Hi Mohammed,

Hardware support for memory protection is not uniform across processor
architectures. Generally speaking, memory protection is
non-deterministic, although some restrictions may be imposed to reduce
the non-determinism by limiting the number of protected memory
regions. Changing the protection domain when task-switching also
greatly increases the system-level overhead for context switching,
thus causing difficulty to WCET estimates and schedulability analysis.
Furthermore, memory protection when enabled increases the average
memory access time. Most real-time systems in the past have been
"single-user, single-program, narrow networking" which precludes any
real need for protection. Now we see multi-program, multi-user, and
wide networking interfaces, and the need for memory protection is
becoming more of an issue.

Gedare