help RTEMS 4.11 - filesystem, devices

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Dec 2 21:16:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Ivan Matic <matke2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm absolute beginner in RTEMS, so I have few basic questions.
> First thing, I'm thinking in Linux terminology, and by reading
> documentation, I saw that there are many similarities, but also many
> differences what I can't understand.
>
> So far, I made VirtualBox image with grub bootloader, FAT32 file system, and
> put there Hello world, paranoia, Ticker, File I/O... examples, and some my
> custom applications.

Welcome! VirtualBox may work, though more people use Qemu:
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Simulators/QEMU

Somewhat, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

> My questions are:
> 1) Can RTEMS be separated in more than one file (ex. rtems.exe my_app1.exe
> my_app2.exe)

Not really. There is some support for dynamic loading, although I
can't seem to find the documentation for it at the moment.

> 2) How can I write in FAT file system, to avoid in-memory FS (I saw in
> example that there is mounting option of: /dev/hda1 hda2..., tried mine
> /dev/sda1 but everything failed)

You want to read/write the FAT file system the binaries load from? You
might try to read the filesystem design guide from
https://docs.rtems.org/doc-current/share/rtems/html/ that might help.

> 3) How can I see what devices exists (So far I tried simple serial port
> communication, from this example
> http://osdir.com/ml/os.rtems.user/2007-04/msg00098.html but i got error on:
> if(write(fd, "ATZ\r", 4) < 0) printf("write() of 4 bytes failed!\n");  )

I guess if you look in the c/src/lib/libbsp/<arch>/<bsp> for the bsp
you use, you might check the Makefile.am to see what source code the
BSP pulls in to decide what devices it supports. Often, the
application has to configure the devices it wants to use. This is one
of the bigger differences from Linux...