rtems ntfs

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Jan 7 18:14:25 UTC 2015

On 1/7/2015 8:44 AM, Federico Garcia Cruz wrote:
> Hello,
> first thing you should do is read about filesystems provided by RTEMS.
> It offers several filesystem types like msdos, nfs, etc, and also
> offers several  block device types to access block devices (ram, non
> volatile, etc).
> Then you should read about how to register your own filesystem and how
> its interface has to look like to be compliant with rtems filesystem
> interface requirements.
> Whle I was working with rtems mdos filesystem I found a very
> interesting presentation about how develop and reguster a new
> filesystems to rtems. I consider that this links could help you:
>
> http://docs.rtems.org/doc-current/share/rtems/pdf/filesystem.pdf
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/FileSystems
> http://flightsoftware.jhuapl.edu/files/2012/FSW12_Mick.pdf

That FSW presentation is nice. Even better when you realize he was
dialed in on a speaker phone to give the presentation. :)

The jffs2 filesystem in the git tree may also be a good reference since the
port pretty cleanly separates the RTEMS glue from the base code.

When you get far enough along, the fstests are pretty handy for basic
tests. You will likely need to port a format command for ntfs along the
way.

A concern when porting anything to RTEMS is to be conscious of the
license of the code you are porting. We will not accept code with
pure GPL licenses. RTEMS applications are typically statically linked
together and the viral nature of the GPL is unacceptable for end user
code.

If it turns out that the only option is a GPL version, then we need to
help you figure out how to make the work long-term viable and
maintainable.

Please keep the community involved in your process.

--joel