How much NEON state should be saved in a context switch? (xilinx zynq)

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jan 21 06:01:14 UTC 2015

On 20/01/15 20:06, Stephen Tether wrote:

> On 01/18/2015 10:19 PM, users-request at rtems.org wrote:
>> the rule of thumb is to save/restore the volatile registers in the
>> context switch and to save/restore the non-volatile registers in the
>> exception epilogue/prologue. See also _ARMV4_Exception_interrupt.
>
> I've looked at _ARMV4_Exception_interrupt. It appears to do this:
>
> 1. Changes from INT mode to SVC mode.
> 2. Saves the NEON registers D0-7 and D16-D31 on the SVC stack.
> 3. Switches back to the INT stack but remains in SVC mode.
> 4. Calls the BSP-level interrupt handlers.
> 5. Changes back to the SVC stack.
> 6. Calls _Thread_Dispatch() if a context switch is needed.
> 7. Restores D0-7 and D16-D31 from the SVC stack.
>

> If the heir task is different from the executing task then
> _CPU_Context_Switch() gets called in step 6. It's there that D8-D15
> get saved and restored using storage in the two TCBs.
>
> This looks OK if there's no context switch since the volatile
> registers get saved to the SVC stack and then restored from the SVC
> stack. However if there is a context switch it looks as if the saved
> volatile register contents from the executing task are restored from
> the SVC stack just before control is given to the heir task. The
> context switching code doesn't seem to do anything with what's saved
> on the SVC stack.

The context switch code changes the stack and in case a thread is
pre-empted via an interrupt it will resume execution in the exception
epilogue which restores the volatile registers. In
_ARMV4_Exception_interrupt you have to consider that this code executes
with interrupts disabled. If you want to see this in action see test
spcontext01 and set a break point to _CPU_Context_volatile_clobber and
_CPU_Context_validate.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16