Memory Leak in 'ping' ?

Isaac Gutekunst isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
Tue Jul 14 15:44:16 UTC 2015

On 07/14/2015 11:30 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On 7/14/2015 10:18 AM, Isaac Gutekunst wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm working on a network driver for the STM32F4, and as part of this
>> process wanted to see if the ping command could ping 127.0.0.1 even with
>> an empty driver.
>>
>> It works a few times, and then fails with 'error: no memory'.
>>
>> This target has 192K of RAM. What would be helpful for me is if a couple
>> people tried running ping, and then wkspace, and reporting whether they
>> see memory leaking.
>>
>> I could also be completely off target in my reasoning. Any other ideas
>> about why I'm seeing this behaviour.
>
> The commands were ported directly from FreeBSD. They ran as processes
> so could not free memory because exit() would clean up. They could also
> get away with leaking since there is more memory.

This makes sense. I'll continue working on the driver and figure out how
to test it later.

> But I don't see a malloc() in ping.c. So it might be leaking in a called
> method.

I've been looking in cpukit/libmisc/shell/main_ping.c

I've modified it to print the amount of bytes allocated on line 378.

I can't find a corresponding free call, but a few calls freeing 'buf',
which comes from ipsec_set_policy.

> It is also possible since the test is likely running in unified memory
> mode that it has consumed more memory for network stack buffers and this
> memory failure is really sendto() failing to allocate mbufs.

My network driver is certainly almost empty and probably not allocating
mbfus, since I'm still learning what those are :)

Aside: Besides the Networking supplement, and BSP development guide (and
source code), are there any good resources for learning about how to
create a network driver for RTEMS? I'm getting a bit caught up in what
part of some of the existing drivers is RTEMS specific and what is MAC
specific.

Isaac Gutekunst
Embedded Systems Software Engineer
isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
www.vecna.com

Cambridge Research Laboratory
Vecna Technologies, Inc.
36 Cambridge Park Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140
Office: (617) 864-0636 x3069
Fax: (617) 864-0638
http://vecna.com

Better Technology, Better World (TM)

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential.
Therefore, if this message has been received in error,
please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not
intended to waive any applicable privilege.
Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the
author.