Multiple UARTs on Beaglebone Black

Steve B sbattazzo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:50:41 UTC 2015

Hi guys,
I would like to use more than one UART on the Beaglebone Black.

I see that the Console_Configuration_Ports in console-config.c only has one
entry but some of the header files do have base addresses and other things
for a couple more UARTs.

Can I simply add a second entry to that table named "/dev/ttyS1" and open
"/dev/ttyS1" and count on ns16550.c to take care of things, or will I need
to also modify the other functions in console-config.c to account for other
possible entries in the table?
Or do those functions only matter if I want to have the options to use the
other UARTs as stdout?

Thanks,

Steve