Freescale HAL licencing + processor selection help

Isaac Gutekunst isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
Fri Jun 12 17:01:25 UTC 2015

Thanks for bringing that up.

It's been on the edge of my mind.

I'm certainly sad about the fate of Luminary, as it's unclear what TI is
going to do with the new "Tiva C Series'. I'm reluctant to go near them,
as I don't know if they plan on improving the line much, or just holding
onto it for a while.

Do you think there is much risk in the Kinetis line disappearing? Or are
you saying that the LPC and Kinetis lines might get merged at some point?

I'm more concerned about compatibility in the next year or two.

Isaac

On 06/12/2015 12:57 PM, Mr. Andrei Chichak wrote:
> I’m not going to answer any of your questions (hah), just give you one extra piece of information.
>
> Things are not as clear as they might appear. Freescale was recently purchased by NXP, so the super-conglomerate will now have two ARM lines. Currently Freescale has declared their Coldfire and 68K processors as being not recommended for new designs. At some point a whole bunch of people will have that “It’s Just Business” talk and their resumes will get polished up.
>
> When TI purchased Luminary Micro, well Stellaris got absorbed into Sitara maybe.
>
>> 3) For cortex M series, what kind of experiences have people had with
>> 	A) Atmel SAMV
>> 	B) Freescale Kinetis
>> 	C) NXP (LPC line)
>> 	D) STM32

Isaac Gutekunst
Embedded Systems Software Engineer
isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
www.vecna.com

Cambridge Research Laboratory
Vecna Technologies, Inc.
36 Cambridge Park Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140
Office: (617) 864-0636 x3069
Fax: (617) 864-0638
http://vecna.com

Better Technology, Better World (TM)

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential.
Therefore, if this message has been received in error,
please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not
intended to waive any applicable privilege.
Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the
author.