Beaglebone Bootloader

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Jun 19 12:03:35 UTC 2015

On 6/18/2015 6:12 PM, Angelo Fraietta wrote:
> Greetings
> Has anyone had a look at a bootloader for the beagle with RTEMS. The
> method that these guys are using removed the requirement of having to
> write to a sdcard each time
>
> http://m.linuxjournal.com/content/handy-u-boot-trick
> https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Board:-BeagleBone
>
> Thanks

Hi, I read this article, but unless I missed something, I really don't
see what the
trick is.  As far as I can tell, its just testing for the presence of
the application (a file)
on the SD card, then if not found it attempts to get one using DHCP/TFTP.
That should be the default mode of operation (at-least during a
development stage).

A slightly less automatic way to do it would be to break the boot script
up into two parts...
PART1:
Look for the application on the SD card, if found, run it; if not found
just terminate to the uboot shell.
PART2:
Build up a few different scripts that can then be run to retrieve the
application in whatever
way makes most sense for the particular environment.  Then the user can
invoke that script
when/if PART1 fails.

Hopefully folks aren't using the SD card to install changes to an RTEMS
app each time, are they?
Ed