Embedded board with good support out of the box?

Mr. Andrei Chichak groups at chichak.ca
Fri May 22 04:45:55 UTC 2015

> On 2015-May-21, at 17:39, Steve B <sbattazzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need CAN bus, a couple of UARTs (one of which may need interrupts), some sort of ADC (whether it is the built in one or external), file logging, and some GPIO. No need for Ethernet unless it really proves useful in uploading software remotely or spitting out diagnostic data faster than a UART can handle.

The ST STM32F407 dev boards do CAN, have 3 UARTS, 16(?) channels of 12 bit ADC, 2 DACs, handle SD cards or USB OTG, lots of GPIO, ether, and run at 168MHz with hardware floating point. Its an ARM Cortex M4.

It’s about an order of magnitude down from a BBB and Apples to Orangutans to an Intel anything.

ST’s STM32F4 Discovery board is really cheap, has a lot of stuff to get you started, but has a lot of crap tossed in that get in the way (like a microphone and audio DAC).

Your question smacks of someone entering embedded systems from the top (Intel really isn’t a player down here where 1MB of code space is pretty big). I’d suggest going slow and get accustomed to not having niceties like off-the-shelf graphics, and rich code libraries.

Andrei