Windows and QEMU

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu May 28 23:06:30 UTC 2015

On 5/28/2015 5:44 PM, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 29/05/2015 3:54 am, Wu, Mark H. wrote:
>> I've finally got some code ported to RTEMS, and have tried executing it, but get nothing but a dreaded Executive Shutdown. Now I'm trying to set up QEMU so I can debug it (no remote debugging yet!), and am having trouble following the instructions on the website <https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Simulators/QEMU>. I have QEMU downloaded and running (I get the same shutdown), so I've got a good start. I've launched the gdbserver oh QEMU, but I can't connect to it from gdb (through the Cygwin environment). I get the error:
>>

> Which QEMU executable did you download ?
>
> Are the cygwin tools the latest built by the RSB ?
>
>> warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response
>>
>> from gdb.

This looks like a gdb protocol mismatch. Chris question on where
qemu came from and which version is important here.

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I'll even take any other ideas for debugging this system. I suspect it's faulting in one of the constructors, but a liberal dose of printk's isn't helping. It seems like the console-printing code is working (I do get the shutdown messages), but I am not getting any of my own printk's whatsoever.
>>

> It looks like the versions of tools are not compatible.

Is the console coming to a serial port or the video?

If you based the qemu invocation on one of my scripts, it disables
the video from qemu so you might not see output if things are going
there.