Looking for Advice on Selecting Trace Hardware and Software for RTEMS and Cortex-M

Isaac Gutekunst isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
Fri Oct 23 13:57:22 UTC 2015

Hi All,

We are considering purchasing trace hardware from Lauterbach as it is the only solution we
could find that has an independent trace and and debug tool i.e. isn't tied into a particular
compiler tool chain.

I have a suspicion that (in theory), any debugger supporting the ARMv7m instruction set and the
ARM EABI (especially calling conventions), should be able to debug and trace any Cortex-M
processor, regardless of the compiler tool chain used to build the file. Is their any truth to
this suspicion?

Does anyone have experience with this or other debug and trace tools for Cortex-M that work
with RTEMS (or at least GCC and ELF files) and a Linux host?

To clarify what I mean by trace, I am interested support for the ARM CoreSight debug
architecture including ETM, ITM, ETB, etc that can do instruction level trace and display data
from the ITM, potentially doing interesting things like plotting data.

Regards,

--
Isaac Gutekunst
Embedded Systems Software Engineer