Advice on redistribution of a SW licensed under GPL v2+

Saeed Ehteshamifar salpha.2004 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:22:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

As far as I understood GPL by skimming the FAQ
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html>, I can
redistribute a repository which is licensed under GPL v2, as long as I keep
the references to the original authors.
1. Am I right on this understanding?
2. How should I keep the references to orig when there is no Copyright
Notice on top of each file? Should I add them manually or only refer to
orig in my LICENSE file?
3. How should I deal with files from orig that don't have Copyright Notice
and have been modified by me? May I add my name and Copyright Notice on top?

This (Slingshot) <https://github.com/DEEDS-TUD/Slingshot> is the original
repository I want to redistribute, again under GPL v2+.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask such questions but I thought
RTEMS guys are experienced in this legal stuff and can quickly help me.
Slingshot is also going to be a fault injection tool for RTEMS. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

SAeeD