large bss size for sample applications

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Sep 24 05:48:01 UTC 2015

On 23/09/15 18:31, Jeff Webb wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 07:50 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> I would use a custom linker command file. Use
>> c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/xilinx-zynq/startup/linkcmds.in as a template.
>> In particular the line
>>
>> bsp_section_rwbarrier_align = DEFINED (bsp_section_rwbarrier_align) ?
>> bsp_section_rwbarrier_align : 1M;
>>
>> is probably not the right thing for you. Maybe use
>>
>> bsp_section_rwbarrier_align = 1;
>
> Thanks for the detailed information, Sebastian.  I am still digging
> into this.  So far, I just tried changing bsp_section_rwbarrier_align
> to 1, but I had the same error.  I will look into this more deeply and
> reply with some more questions if I can't get it figured out.  It
> might help to understand why rwbarrier and nocache are required and
> what is going on here.  I don't think the raspberry pi configuration
> had these, but I might be mistaken.

The purpose of the bsp_section_rwbarrier_align is to separate the
read-only from the read-write sections so that we can use the MMU
(granularity 1MiB) to protect the read-only sections. There is probably
a bug in the MMU setup in case the bsp_section_rwbarrier_align is not
1MiB. You can set the nocache memory to 0 if you don't need this.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09