Additional cygwin packages needed and runtime problem

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Fri Aug 19 00:27:43 UTC 2016

I built the rtems and bare tool chains on Fedora linux with no problem.
Wanted to also see if they would build on cygwin under Windows 10. After
checking that all the listed cygwin packages were installed, I began the
build. Finished gcc/newlib and when building gdb I discovered that two
cygwin packages were needed that were not listed in the
source-builder.html document:

libreadline-devel
libncurses-devel (only needed for bare, rtems tools built OK w/o this)

These probably should be added to the required cygwin packages in the
source-builder.txt document.

After the cygwin build finished I tried to run the installed gcc.exe
binary in fedora under wine. It appears that the gcc binary is not mingw
but a cygwin binary since the cygwin1.dll is required and is missing:

[gene at hplt bin]$ ./arm-rtems4.12-gcc.exe --version
fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 1.9.12 is a testing version
containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when
filing bug reports on winehq.org.
err:module:import_dll Library cygwin1.dll (which is needed by
L"Z:\\run\\media\\gene\\OS\\Users\\gene\\development\\rtems\\4.12\\bin\\arm-rtems4.12-gcc.exe")
not found
err:module:import_dll Library cygiconv-2.dll (which is needed by
L"Z:\\run\\media\\gene\\OS\\Users\\gene\\development\\rtems\\4.12\\bin\\arm-rtems4.12-gcc.exe")
not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"Z:\\run\\media\\gene\\OS\\Users\\gene\\development\\rtems\\4.12\\bin\\arm-rtems4.12-gcc.exe"
failed, status c0000135

This works OK in fedora/wine for other mingw based toolchain, i.e.,
Codesourcery with no dependencies on cygwin dll's.

I will try the "recommended" msys build method and see if it works better.

-gene