Missing iconv.dll and libwinpthread-1.dll when running gcc

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Aug 22 04:30:05 UTC 2016

On 22/08/2016 10:31 AM, Gene Smith wrote:
> Building windows based bare-metal tools on linux works OK (unlike cygwin
> and msys2 for me).

MSYS2 for the 4.12 tools works.

> However, for the built gcc to run on windows (or
> under wine on linux) I have to copy the following dll's from the mingw
> installation on linux to the toolchain bin directory:
>
> iconv.dll
> libwinpthread-1.dll
>
> These don't seem to reside anywhere on a standard win10 installation.

Correct. They are specific to the host you used to cross compile on.

> If these are really required, maybe the RSB should copy these to bin
> automatically when building with mingw?

The RSB cannot do this because it is related to the packages and
packaging used and the RSB does not step into this area.

MinGW is not a standard and so the DLLs needed and the names used for
those DLLs vary. They vary between the different Windows hosted MinGW
implementations and they vary between the various Windows cross compiler
run-times that are available. I am afraid you are going to have to
package and deploy the provided run-time based on what the host you use
requires.

Chris