Build in msys2 shell fails

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Aug 23 00:09:49 UTC 2016

On 23/08/2016 09:38, Gene Smith wrote:
> On 8/22/2016 12:18 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
>  >
>  > This is the latest doco on doing this I have available:
>  >
>  >
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/docs/user/hosts/index.html#microsoft-windows
>
>  >

> Yes, I did see that after posting my comments. However, I wasn't sure if
> was right since it seems to contradict the HEAD source-builder.txt in
> the master branch of RSB:
>
> "Install a suitable version of Python from http://www.python.org/ and
> add it to the start of your path. The MSYS2 python does not work with waf."

This is wrong for Windows and needs to be updated or removed.

> Whereas your link above says you must use the pythons (both v2 and v3)
> obtained via pacman in msys2. It doesn't mention anything about problems
> with waf or that you should use the pure windows version of python.

The python.org python is built with MSVC and linking gdb with those
libraries is difficult if not impossible. Given the MSYS2 solution works
out of the box it is preferred.

> The source-builder.txt also says you should use --without-python when
> building under msys2. It doesn't explain what that actually does (and
> possibly it is also wrong?).

Again the doco is wrong. I have fixed the issues that existed.

Chris